Google+ Followers

Monday, 11 September 2017

Tired Oh So Tired

Last Monday was my final grandchildren minding session of the holidays and if I'm completely honest a little voice inside my head was saying 'Thank the Lord for that'. I love them to bits but my time wasn't my own anymore.  So knowing I could do what I wanted for the rest of the week  I went a little crazy on Tuesday and Wednesday tidying more areas of the garden preparing them for winter. Then I had more preserving to do as my freezer diving had freed up more space. Every minute has been filled with something and now I feel tired, oh so tired.

I do this every time, you'd think I would have learnt by now,  after all I'm getting older and Rome wasn't built in a day.  But then you have to make hay while the sun shines  don't you? We've  had some lovely sunshine on the Essex coast but there is a chill in the air too, especially the mornings and evenings. Out of the four seasons of the year I would rank my least favourite as winter. Number one has to be spring because its the first signs of life, the start of new beginnings.  Summer comes next on my list and  then autumn.  What's your favourite season? 
What's your favourite season? 

My spending has remained on track, I used the Iceland £5 and Asda £5.28 for  essentials milk, bread, sugar, squash, fruit and a 39p pointed cabbage from Lidl. I spent  £1.09 bringing my total so far to £43. I pretty much have this weeks meals sorted and the only thing I need is 6 pints of milk which will take me through to Friday. 



Would you believe that tomorrow (12th September) I celebrate being retired for one whole year, boy oh boy its gone quickly. I have learnt so much during the last twelve months. Firstly, the free-time you believed retirement would bring doesn't exist! In addition,  when I worked I always hankered after having  more outside space to grow stuff and have chickens etc My current garden is approximately 36ft x 90ft and we have a 10ft x 8ft greenhouse. I've learnt this is more than enough space for our needs and lifestyle. Furthermore,  I can cope with this without it taking over my/our life. I've been better at successional sowing and hope to build on this by getting a few more spring crops sown. My preserving skills have  gone from strength to strength and I've contacted with my card making. The only area I've failed abysmally on is my sewing. I really thought I'd have more time to get my sewing machine out and make stuff, the material is ready and waiting but the time just runs away from me. Perhaps autumn will be different but I doubt it as we really need to get some decorating done before winter.  At least hubby will be around more to help, he's been covering holiday shortages and worked full time for the last 6 weeks. Our house was completely painted over 4 years ago and some walls are looking a little shabby, and most of the skirting could do with a  good gloss. So that's next on the agenda. Bye for now. Tx



26 comments:

  1. I love them all for their varying characters. Whatever season it is, that's my favourite! Just call me Pollyanna! 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pollyanna, oh I mean Joy😂 think my dislike of winter comes from working nightshifts outside in the cold! Thank goodness that's all over.

      Delete
  2. Summer's definitely my favourite season, followed by spring, autumn and then winter last. I'm not a fan of the cold but I think summer's finally over, I've had the heating on this weekend and the temperature's set to drop even more this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have sunshine again today but it's power is dwindling each day. Temperatures this week in Essex 18 & 19 if it materialises!

      Delete
  3. Summer has always been my favourite season but I have recently learned to embrace them all, especially Autumn. I do enjoy the crisp clear cold days. It's the wet, dark and windy ones I don't appreciate.
    I'm sure you'll get back to sewing soon with the turn of the weather. I find I never get much crafting done during the Summer months. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules, I hope so I really enjoy it when I get started.

      Delete
  4. I love Spring, new beginnings I always feel positive. I know what you mean about getting the balance right, I think your garden is plenty bountiful for you both. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we didn't jump in and buy somewhere bigger when I retired, I think I would be regretting it now.

      Delete
  5. I always say retirement period is our last chance to re-acquaint ourselves with our body and soul, listen to them, and adjust to their needs.
    Instead, we plunge into much work inside and outside home. May God help us!

    Summer is my favorite season; it allows me complete freedom of movement due to light clothing, good weather . The least favorite is winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love summer too for the same reasons as you, lighter clothing, longer lighter days. However spring had become my favourite.

      Delete
  6. How can you have been retired for a year already? It dosn't seem all that long ago that you were counting down the days? My in-laws are both retired and so busy now, we wonder how they ever found time to go to work! Hubby reckons we should get tracking devices installed on them. LOL.
    I love the spring, with it's promise of new life, Summer for it's colours & sun (hopefully) and Autumn for the turning colours of the tree's, Bonfires & soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I feel I've blinked and a year has gone. You know when they show you the highlights on a TV show from the previous series that's what the last year has been like. I love the colours of autumn too it's quite beautiful.

      Delete
  7. I agree with you about not having enough time when retired. We can't fit things into the day either because we haven't the time or because we haven't the energy. I would love to have the energy that I had a few years back right now but find myself getting slower and slower. I have now decided that it's okay to be slow. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgot to say that Spring is my best season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love spring, in fact in recent years our spring has been far better than our summer. I suppose I will slow down eventually.

      Delete
  9. I've been retired for 7 years and absolutely love it, but, like Briony, I wish I had the energy I had 10 years ago! I love Spring because everything is warming up and sprouting. I don't mind winter even though it can be incredibly cold. The snow is the issue-shovelling it and driving on icy roads for weeks on end. I used to love Summer but really have problems with the heat the older I get. Love the autumn, nice and cool and the snow hasn't started.lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have stamina but I've lost strength and I hate having to keep asking for help with things. I've always been independent!! We have had a few bad winters in the UK 2012 & 2013 followed by s couple a of wet and mild winters. Last winter was mild and very dry.

      Delete
  10. Your garden will require less time, so more time foe sewing, I leave my machine out on a back corner of dining table, which saves time getting it out, and I use it more as I find lite things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what I'll be doing, leaving the machine in view to encourage me to use it.

      Delete
  11. It's got to be either spring or autumn as I feel that's when you truly see one season change to another. I need to take a leaf out of your book and get back to grips with budgets as over the busy growing period I've not kept tabs as much as I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden does take over which is good in some ways as it certainly helps me to relax. You can forget troubles and strife getting lost in the garden chores.

      Delete
  12. I love all the seasons for different reasons - I do find dark mornings difficult though. I was hoping for all that spare time when I eventually retire - to hear it doesn't exist is worrying!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you tend to take a little longer doing the things you like which fills the time. 😁

      Delete
  13. Its plus and minus on the grandchild front , the plus i can get so much done without him , the minus is that im back to doing the 6 mile hike up a lonely lane taking him to and from school and i have to be at those gates at 3.30 everyday even when i should be at work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness that is one heck of a commitment. It would take me a couple of hours to walk 6 mikes, how on earth for you manage that. Have you got a bicycle?

      Delete
  14. thank you for this your broadcast provided bright clear concept..
    หนังเกาหลีใหม่

    ReplyDelete