Google+ Followers

Wednesday, 13 September 2017

At Long Last

Its been an absolute age but I've only gone and done it........I've finished my friends tea cosy! Yeeha! I bought the pattern when I was visiting her in April this year, we were standing outside a wool shop when she said look at those lovely knitted cosies.  They were beautiful so I went in the shop and bought the pattern.  Once home I purchased the wool and started. I chose the moss rib stitch cosy as its very stretchy and not knowing the exact size of the tea pot it will adorn I thought it was the safest option.  I lost track how many times I pulled it apart and restarted it.  Over time I became familiar with the pattern which helped when it came to the shaping.  Every line of the pattern was different and once again I confess it was pulled clean off the needles numerous times.  

I used to knit  quite a bit when the children where younger and money was tight.  My mum would knit the children's stuff and I would knit mine.  I used to go each month and buy a ball of Sidar something or another for my latest chunky cardigan. Thank goodness they had a lay by scheme or I wouldn't have been able to afford it. Working full time and shift work put and end to lots of crafty things I used to do so now I'm retired I thought it would be easy to just pick up again.

Unfortunately I will not be seeing my friend on her birthday but another friend is going up to Tyneside to see her next  week and has offered to take the present with her.  Knowing her Birthday was looming meant I had to knuckle down and finish it. I don't have a tea pot so I put it over a plastic jug in order to take the photo. I wanted to learn to crochet flowers as I feel they always look so much better than knitted flowers. The crochet flowers have been a disaster, I'm all fingers and thumbs when trying to watch the YouTube tutorial and do it at the same time, so I did a couple of the flowers from the pattern instead. 

As you can see I wrote a little card to put with it which reads:

This tea cosy was made with extra stitches, dropped stitches and a few too many swear words. But most of all it was made with love. 
I hope it ruddy fits. 

I simply had to buy the little porcelain pastry forks when I saw them as she loves any thing like that and they were in the sale. My friend doesn't know I blog so my secret is safe.  I just need a small bar of chocolate to go in the bag and its good to go.  Small as I know she's on Weight Watchers but everyone knows that chocolate doesn't contain Smart Points or Calories when eaten on your Birthday! I hope she likes it and  I hope it fits.

Many thanks for all your seasonal comments. We have high winds today but lots of sunshine too.  I hope you haven't suffered to badly from the effects of Storm Aileen.  Bye for now. Tx 



32 comments:

  1. What a lovely thoughtful gift. Your friend will be thrilled to receive it. And yes, you're right about the non existent calories. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules I thought I was right. Birthdays aren't the same without some chocolate.

      Delete
  2. It's beautiful. Such a thoughtful gift and I love the message. Lucky friend.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy. She has been a very good fiend to me too.

      Delete
  3. That's fabulous, you've made such a great job of it. I don't own a teapot either so a teacosy is something I've never knit. The enclosed note made me chuckle and the pastry forks are the perfect accompaniment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo those words of phrase coming from an expert knitter mean a lot.

      Delete
  4. Well done you, I am afraid I am not a knitter, love the cake forks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene, the forks are lovely if they'd had two sets I would have kept one for me.

      Delete
  5. I think you've done a grand job of kniting the tea cosy. Did the forks come from a high street store? They've gorgeous. I'd really like some for myself. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were in the Boots end of season sale and the minute I saw them I thought of my friend. I think they only have this sort of thing at Christmas so you may be in luck.

      Delete
  6. Cake fork envy and I've never even given them a thought before!
    Well done on the cosy. Looks perfect

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love the tea cosy, its a shame that tea bags have taken over and not many people use these, I'm sure your friend will love it.
    You bought back memories of lay by wool, I used to buy it in the hank and my mum and I use to wind it into balls between us. I made Tom many jumpers in those days.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember doing the skeins of wool with my mum. I was the one who held my arms out! I'm glad I persevered with the pattern.

      Delete
  8. If I were your friend I would be so delighted with the birthday gifts. I started knitting too when I had children until they got to senior school. As I can sew I also made nearly all their clothes. Money was tight for us so I made what I could including all the dancing costumes and ballet tutus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's amazing what we are capable of when needed.

      Delete
  9. Good for you for not giving up and the end result is fabulous! Love the spoons. I have heard that on your birthday you must break the chocolate bar before eating and all the calories are released to the air!lol Sadly it only works on your birthday;-)!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great advice about breaking the chocolate first, that's handy to know 😂

    ReplyDelete
  11. My friend has her mom's knitted tea cosy (I would bet it must be 70-80 years old). It's beautiful and I am so envious!!! In fact, when I was in England a couple of years ago I was looking for tea cosys but couldn't find any because apparently people don't use teapots any more (I know, I know, watch out for the lightning strikes). But I still do. I would love to try knitting one - I'm not a knitter but am willing to give it a bash. Must see if I can find a pattern on the internet ('cos they sure as heck don't use them here in France). Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna If you wish to email me I can send you a copy of mine. ozziebird1@gmail.com
      I don't mind at all.

      Delete
    2. Hi Tania, I just sent you an email. Thanks so much. And isn't the internet wonderful. How can I be getting a t-cosy pattern from you over in England. Amazing. And thanks again. Anna

      Delete
    3. It's winging it's way to you over cyber space right now!

      Delete
  12. I think you did a marvelous job of the tea cosy! I love the colour.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie hope your getaway is going well.

      Delete
  13. What a thoughtful present, a pretty tea cosy. I do love those forks too and who can resist chocolate xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely gift! Tea cosys aren't very common here in the U.S. but they ought to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me wish I had a tea pot! But I'm going to experiment to see if I could do a coffee cafetiere. It would have to be removed when pouring but it would keep it hope while brewing and for top ups.

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you need free Google+ Circles?
    Did you know that you can get them AUTOMATICALLY AND ABSOLUTELY FOR FREE by registering on Like 4 Like?

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (no matter why you broke up) you must watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Get your ex back with TEXT messages?

    ReplyDelete
  18. QUANTUM BINARY SIGNALS

    Professional trading signals sent to your mobile phone every day.

    Start following our trades today & gain up to 270% a day.

    ReplyDelete