Google+ Followers

Friday, 11 August 2017

Shopping to save money

BLOGGER IS WORKING YEH!!!!

Shopping to save money sounds like a contradiction in terms.  But we all know that  with Brexit and the general state of the economy in the UK the only direction prices are going is up. But when this email dropped into my inbox it makes sense to spend to save.
Buy something in Iceland,  hand in my Bonus Card and I'll get a coupon for a free Ice cream worth £1.50. So that's what I did, knowing I've got the grandchildren for 4 days I bought some wraps (75p) and got the triple chocolate ice cream for FREE. 

Yesterday I mentioned that I had received  Tesco money off vouchers but you have to spend £50 to get the £7 off. Having played around with a shopping list on mysupermarket  Tesco is coming out far dearer than Asda, so its not worth using the coupon. I have just had a further refund from the tax man £39.80 so I'm going to use it sensibly to stock up on bits I need. Despite having a grocery embargo I think I this shop makes sense while some of the things I need are on offer. Luckily my shade hair dye was down to  half price £1.75 so I bought 4 which will last me about 9 months because I only use half at a time.  The coffee will take me through to February next year (5x£4)and so will the 2 large tubs of skimmed milk powder that I use for custard or cooking and in drinks when I run out of fresh. The MaMade and Jellies were free because of the £5 voucher. Some bargain bread and biscuits for the grandchildren. Ginger to make orange ginger marmalade for gifts and 1000mg Cod Liver Oil capsules for me. I swea by fish oil to keep the aches and pains at bay!

I did the ASDA price guarantee thingy too and have got a 65p coupon. 

Since 18th July I have spent £88.57 so I will have spent under £100 for the month even after buying milk and bread this week. There is approximately 8 weeks until I go on holiday and I believe there is enough food in the freezer and cupboards for that period.  I will continue on an even lower spend of £12 each week then reassess the situation.  The money I save will go into the Christmas fund because it will be here before we know it. 

Seedless blackberry cordial (No labels yet) The dehydrator has made some lovely sundried toms and I'm doing some more as we ate the first ones. I thought  I'd taken a photo but I couldn't find it.  I'm going to make some sundried tomato paste too when I have enough done.   
Thanks for all the comments on my last couple of posts. Have a wonderful weekend at least the weather is looking better.  









11 comments:

  1. When we shop at Asda we are noticing their packet/jars are smaller than else where, which when there are only two of us might not be a problem. But their prices are not always the best. We have been watching prices and sizes and stocking up on a few things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats interesting but I do know Kenco and Nescafe are always in 200g jars. By looking at Mysupermarket I know the sizes of things too.

      Delete
  2. You did very well. I do wish we could get the same deals as you do here in Canada (well at least where I live).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always envious of the masses of coupon deals that Americans have. Do have coupons?

      Delete
  3. We wouldn't have blinked at spending £50 on a shop when the family were at home but we spend much less now that there's only the two of us. You do have to be careful with vouchers, they can seem a good deal but if the supermarket they're for charges more for what you're going to buy than other supermarkets then it's just false economy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they can be false economy that's why I check it out on Mysupermarket.

      Delete
  4. It always pays to check prices and offers. I've recently made use of two Morrisons vouchers at £8 off a £40 spend. I did however check the prices against comparable items first.
    Enjoy your time with the grandchildren. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules, it does pay to check out prices first.

      Delete
  5. It is always a balancing act to see which shops are the best prices.
    Our recent Tesco vouchers were £7 off a £70 spend Ouch! I would use it to stock up on basic label foods but I already have quite a bit.
    Thanks for the reminder about cod liver oil. I used to take it, but got out of the habit. I do a physical job, and I am persevering with a bad shoulder at the mo, so it may help that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your chocolate ice cream and wraps made me think about crepes, yum! We always do the Asda price check, definitely worth it xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quantum Binary Signals

    Get professional trading signals delivered to your mobile phone daily.

    Follow our signals right now and gain up to 270% daily.

    ReplyDelete