Google+ Followers

Friday, 4 August 2017

Catchup and Bargains

I managed to get the dehydrator box painted and hubby made the shelves out of some mattress bases that we had from our eldest daughter.  There were 4 and they looked so useful as plant climbing frames we couldn't just dump them.  Anyway hubby too two of them to work and altered the size to make a top and bottom shelf. Each shelf will have a piece of plastic netting on that the food will be laid on to dry.



The fan has arrived but the Perspex hasn't. We've  gone with Perspex for safety reasons. The problem I've had is that the tomatoes were getting over ripe and I needed to use some of them rather then they go to waste.  I DON'T DO WASTE! So I made a simple rich tomato sauce using tomatoes, onions, garlic, seasoning, a little red wine and tomato puree.  Once the sterilised jars were filled the jars were placed in a pan of boiling water for 25 minutes to complete the canning process.  


After dropping off some cucumbers and runner beans to my sister I called in at Asda to use my Fairy Liquid 50p coupon as they had a Mega bottle for £2 (1.350lt). I got all this for £2.63




My luck didn't end there, I also got these from Morrison's. Two lots of  Barbeque Turkey 15p, Skyr yoghurt which is gorgeous 15p, Butternut squash and chilli soup 15p, cheese 25p.




And when I called in Sainsbury's to meet my grandson on his birthday I found my cooking sauces on offer for 50p, best of all I had £5 on the Nectar card so I stocked up with 4 jars and some sweeties for the grandchildren. 
Hubby brought home another lot of blackberries from his yard at work, they are beauties, large, fleshy and sweet. I open froze them before placing them in a bag in the freezer.  Next week I will get around to make some seedless jam and cordial as I need the space in the freezer. Freezing the berries helps to break down the skins in cooking. 

This week has been brilliant for bargains and will certainly help the monthly budget.  I've never been overly lucky with yellow stickers because I don't shop often.  I can see how people get addicted to this practice. Have a lovely weekend, I hope the sunshine returns soon I have some sundried tomatoes to make! 








15 comments:

  1. The dehydrator box looks great, that will have saved you quite a bit of money making it yourself. It can get quite addictive looking for yellow stickers, can't it? We used to shop at just the right time to find the bargains but we've changed our shopping habits since Eleanor left for uni so we don't drop on them quite so often now, not that we need quite as much shopping either now that there's only the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to spend money the dehydrator but it's probably cost £20 and I can use it as a cold frame too. Finding bargains is addictive.

      Delete
  2. We have an electric one but they have to me on for so long, I have not used ours as much as I thought I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of an electric one but wanted to do this as an experiment. Drying the traditional way. I'm ordering sunshine for next week 😁

      Delete
    2. I have an electric one too but they take so much longer to dry anything. I used my porch to dry food stuff last year. It gets really warm in there

      Delete
    3. A lot of people have said that. I know people who use the rear shelf of their cars! Great idea really.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It doesn't happen often so it was really good.

      Delete
  4. Some great yellow sticker bargains there and a good haul of blackberries. I'm hoping to get some myself over the next few weeks. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, the early warm weather and the recent wet weather have certainly done their magic on the fruit. They are much earlier this year.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, some brilliant bargains there. We never seem to do that well with yellow stickers, I think we just go at the wrong times. Lots of blackberries, yum xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not normally lucky because I shop mornings. But is teatime when they reduced things.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your creativity with the up cycling of the mattress bases. Those are good bargains - right place at the right time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like buying things so if I can find a use for something I have already got......happy days.

      Delete