Google+ Followers

Monday, 3 July 2017

What a whopper!

Sunday morning was time to start harvesting some of the produce from the garden.  We started with the beetroot. I  wanted to weed the beetroot and thin them out as well as pick any that looked big enough. I must have made a mistake when I was sowing them  because I'd sown cylinder beetroot but didn't label it correctly so you can imagine surprise  my surprise when I found this whopper.  There was also normal ones in the bed so I'm confused but it's all edible so what the heck. 
 
 
Hubby dug up the treasure from one potato plant. Not a massive amount of spuds but it will do us a few meals.  I picked the first lot of runner beans,  fingers crossed there  will be many more harvests and another lot of green/black beans.
 
 

Three and a bit jars of beetroot pickled, the bit is what we had with our dinner. I'd got the blend of sweetness and spices in the vinegar just right and it was lovely.  
 
 

We popped to the market Friday before heading to Ipswich for our granddaughters sports day.  The fruit and veg stall holder that I visit every week was concerned about the black cloud hovering over head. He is the last stall in the row and gets the water run off for the street if it rains so he was selling things off.  I got some apples for £1 and then he offered me an overflowing bowl of apricots for £1, he actually added more after transferring them to a brown paper bag. Over 800g wow. I kept a lot of the firmest ones for a fresh fruit salad and added frozen berries , the rest were turned into more jam.
Dinner last night was: lettuce, cucumber, potatoes, peas/beans, beetroot and onions from the garden served with a quarter pounder topped with cheese. Followed by fruit salad (raspberries/strawberries from the garden)  Eton Mess!
Dinner was delicious
I never tire of watching what a seed or a bulb can do with a little TLC.  I'm trying another experiment, I've sown some leeks seeds in damp paper tissue to see if they sprout.  I'm wondering if I can get a late batch in when the onions come out. I've also sown  some more carrots and beetroot.  They are in a plastic tub inside a cupboard. I'll update you on their progress in a couple of days.
Beetroot, carrots and leek seeds on wet tissue
How's your garden growing? What's your favourite  thing to grow? Do you have any unusual sowing techniques? Bye for now. Tx
 
 


 





15 comments:

  1. We're just starting to harvest ours. Charlottes, courgettes, chard and a few mange tout and sugar snaps plus some cherry plums from the tree that back that we didn't plant but it's on our plot. Really nice.
    We don't have any system really, we just plant what we fancy at the moment.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any system really and I don't invest a great deal of money in my seeds or plants but I do invest my time and effort.

      Delete
  2. I have never seen those beetroots before, I love fresh beetroot just steamed, like you if it is put in vinegar it has to be just right as it can be a harsh else. Bargains from the fruit and veg stall. I keep meaning to ask where do you get those labels, are they home printed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also nice to see you blogging regularly again x

      Delete
    2. I use the label program in Microsoft Word. You can import a clipart etc I sit in the evenings and design various food ones as well as Birthday and Christmas present labels. I saw the cylinder beetroot for the first time last year and bought the seeds in Wilco's as they were cheap. I'm so busy I don't know how I found the time to work. I always try to take photos while I'm doing things so I can blog. There's lots going on this time of year so its easier. Tx

      Delete
  3. A lovely lot of produce. We will have the first runner beans tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm chuffed with everything I've harvested so far and it will certainly help keep the shopping bills down. The garden and greenhouse is doing well but wish we had some more rain.

      Delete
  4. We are finally getting some heat here and the garden is growing by leaps and bounds. I noticed some little zucchinis and cucumbers starting.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so lovely when you see the first signs of food coming. I often wonder what it must have been like when we relied on what we grew to live on and trade. Scary! Tx

      Delete
  5. Wow, your beetroot's done well. I love pickled beetroot and I love roasted beetroot too, a little goats cheese goes with it really nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I liked Goats cheese but it's too strong. I love it roasted but we decided to pickle some straight away so that we have some during the winter. The next lot will be eating.

      Delete
  6. Love your beetroot Tania. Hope to take mine up soon. I took most of my onions up yesterday and they are drying in the cellar. W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I leaving the onions a little longer then I'll dig it over and put the leeks in if they grow!

      Delete
  7. A nice little harvest there Tania, you must be really pleased. I love beetroot and quite often eat one to myself as I'm making a salad.

    I'd like to comment on your tissue paper experiment but have absolutely no idea what you are doing - the lack of soil stumps me! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember growing beans on blotting paper at school? It's sort of the same principle. I start seeds off in damp kitchen paper, those that sprout are put into compost. I still keep the funds for a while just incase they're slow. But generally it speeds up the germination process considerably.

      Delete