Google+ Followers

Thursday, 6 July 2017

Seed Progress (2) and Other Stuff

The weather forecast for today was rain all day from 9am but when I got up at 8 am and looked  out of the window it didn't look like it was going to rain anytime soon, so I checked the forecast again, no rain till 4pm. It's 1pm and the sun is hot but cloud is building and it's getting very muggy.  

I checked the beetroot seeds this morning and they'd put on a lot more growth so I planted up two trays spacing the little sprouts out as much as possible.  They were covered with a layer of well crumbed compost and watered. 


More of the carrot seeds had sprouted but not near enough to plant up. The leeks are showing more little white specks so hopefully we'll have a root soon.

Passing the runner beans this morning I noticed another harvest ready, knowing we weren't going to be able to eat them all I blanched them and put them in the freezer.
  
I decided to pick the onions before we have rain, they'll go in the shed for a few days, then I'll attempt to plait them up and hang them. Lots of smallish ones but this is  a £1 bag from poundland and the raspberries have proved to be a bit of a thug neighbour.  I sorted them into large and small piles and I've definitely got my money's worth.



I'm going to pick up my new laptop top shortly but first I've got some pickled cucumber to do because I've got so many ready.  There's always something to do! I better press publish before I lose this post. Bye for now. Tx

8 comments:

  1. My banana shallots are almost ready and I had forgotten about cucumber pickle, better scoop some jars out ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive done one jar with mustard seeds and a few chilli flakes in the vinegar. The other has ready spiced vinegar.

      Delete
  2. I think I shall try your method for seeds next year, it seems to work very quickly. I just love fresh beans they always remind me of my dear father in law x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go over the plants looking for beans then hubby does because they're great at camouflage! It is a quick method and so far I've been successful.

      Delete
  3. Those seeds have got a good start, it's amazing how quickly they germinate when they're sown on damp paper. Hope you've got the new laptop sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hooked on doing it this way now because I can see what's going on almost straight away. Laptop sorted but its been far from straightforward.

      Delete
  4. You are so busy with all your food preparation - my 3 little courgettes that I have grown will do for our tea - it has encouraged me to try more in tubs next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a guy on YouTube he does HGV (Home Grown Veg). He does a lot of posts from start to finish (sowing to harvest) and most of the things he grows are in 10 inch pots. Brilliant.

      Delete