Google+ Followers

Friday, 21 July 2017

Keeping Up With Demand

Thank you for all your lovely comments on the last couple of posts. This post was automatically set to publish  while I was sitting on a beach but it didn't. Ho hum!

It was probably very naïve of me to think that I could increase  the amount of produce I am growing without  it having an impact on my time. But its saves money and when you are time rich and cash poor you have to go with the flow. When I do my early morning round of the garden harvesting ripe produce I have to think how its gong to be used. The warm wet weather over the last couple of days has increased the harvest of runner beans twofold! So each day I spend at least 40 minutes preparing beans for the freezer.  

Courgettes, cucumber, carrots and beans
Today I have  transplanted some of the beetroot seedlings that were ready which meant making space in the existing beetroot bed So 15  beetroot of assorted sizes were picked and processed. After cooking some were pickled and some left plain to serve with a salad.  
A little put by for those leaner months
The 'bush' tomatoes are ripening quickly and I sorted the ripest ones from those collected over the last few days to make a batch of tomato chilli jam.  I used some of our home grown red onions and frozen chillies from 2015.  

Tomatoes, chillies and onions ready for the Chilli jam
I have harvested more potatoes which should last for  a while.  And I've been thinning the larger carrot containers out by picking baby carrots.  I may have a carrot 'experiment' plant pot reveal soon as I think most of the carrots are a decent size considering they've grown in a 10 inch pot. 

This one is just under a foot long

This one is 4 inches and growing fast

The butternut squash in the greenhouse are growing steadily and I've had to apply a  sling to the largest one already.  Old tights come in very handy.  The squash outside aren't even flowering yet. 



According to the internet I have a record breaking sweetcorn plant because it has 5 ears of corn on one plant, another has 4. The little beards had turned brown so I decided to have a look  and picked 3 of them.  Two were good and one under developed but I can still use it in a tor fry. So out of the five plants I have I could potentially have 20 ears of corn! WOW. Bye for now. Tx

19 comments:

  1. Wow, everything's doing so well. We have a couple of butternut squash plants, both flowering. The most corn we have on one plant is 3, so nowhere near yours xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I had 5 on one plant. A friend came round and told me my corn were very short. They may be short but they are producing lots of corn. Tx

      Delete
  2. You're doing so well. Such amazing produce. I am a little envious. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arhhh thank you Jules. I have a large garden but I only have two smallish growing areas, three if you count the greenhouse. So I'm really chuffed but successional sowing helps.

      Delete
  3. It does save so much money, I only wish I had a bit more space to grow some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do cram stuff in Marlene but I feed regularly and put back the good ness in the winter and it seems to pay off. I saw runner beans on a market stall Friday and they were £1.75 a pound. I must have had £18 worth so far.

      Delete
  4. The reason I gave up my allotment was because of lack of time, growing your own does take up a lot of time. Even harvesting, as you say, can take quite a while, sorting everything out and processing things. It's definitely worth it though if you can manage it, there's no taste quite like home grown. Your sweetcorn looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the taste is fantastic. Even my grandson commented on the sweetcorn saying it was the best he'd ever had! I'm looking forward harvesting the peppers and chillies in a few months time.

      Delete
  5. I thought I was going to end up with just 1 squash on each of 3 plants but there are more coming along now.
    Sweetcorn is one of the things we decided against given lack of room and the cheap bags of frozen. Although not as good as coming in with fresh cobs to eat with lots of butter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue I bought a pot of 5 sweetcorn for 99p as mine hadn't taken. The label was missing so I'm unsure of the variety but they are very short and thin but they have produced lots of cobs. As you say there is not taste quite like freshly cooked sweetcorn.

      Delete
  6. You are getting a lovely harvest. Yes, when a person expands the garden it takes a bit more time. Like you say though it is worth it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth it and I never tire of seeing my seedlings grow into plants and produce our food.

      Delete
  7. I imagine it does take a lot of time picking and then prepping but if you weren't as disciplined as you obviously are, think of all that wasted time planting etc. for you not to bother. It all looks lovely by the way.

    Hope you all enjoyed your day out at the beach. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are on day number 3 at the beach and I am exhausted! Weather not good tomorrow so it will give me time to do a garden catchup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Tania. Good point about time and productivity. I feel I fall short every summer and when picking and preserving take priority, I find my self wishing I'd mulched more or planted more. Feeding oneself is a way of life, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving providing food for the table. I'm certainly much better at successional sowing than I was.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blog are the best that is extremely useful to keep.
    I can share the ideas of the future as this is really what I was looking for,
    I am very comfortable and pleased to come here. Thank you very much.
    ผลบอล

    ReplyDelete
  12. QUANTUM BINARY SIGNALS

    Get professional trading signals delivered to your cell phone every day.

    Follow our signals NOW and make up to 270% per day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (no matter why you broke up) you gotta watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Get your ex back with TEXT messages?

    ReplyDelete