Google+ Followers

Thursday, 27 July 2017

Clever Hubby

I am blessed with a practical clever hubby who can turn his hand to most things. He's made lots of things around the home and garden already.   His one fault would be that he is guilty of  over engineering things.  When I say can you build me a simple box I get asked lots of questions before he starts the job. The box would survive a nuclear holocaust when its finished, hehe!

Back in April I showed him some hanging basket brackets I'd seen on line that you mount over your concrete fence post.  This means they can be moved around and taken down when not in use.  He works in the steel business and went off first making a prototype for sizing.  He then made four because we already had four brackets in the shed and he fixed these to the box section he had designed. The prices vary on line from £15 - £25.99, so I've probably saved £60- £100 easily. I've hooked it over the greenhouse surround so you can see how it works.  Although its rests on the fence top the weight of the basket tilts the bracket slightly so the weight is distributed down the concrete post.  






He has also started to construct my dehydrating box, we are hoping to finish the shelving this week, put in the air vents and  get the Perspex or glass for the top.  I might buy a small solar fan to circulate the warm air inside. It will be painted black inside and out to absorb the heat, then we will be ready to rumble! With the toms coming thick and fast I want to do sundried tomatoes.  The box will also double up as a cold frame as I'm going to by a liner to put in it when use it for plants.



Its quite large which means we should be able to do a fair bit of dehydrating on hot sunny days. All the wood was free and so I got some black plastic fine mesh of for the shelving off eBay cheap. The paint if what's left over from painting out tenants front door. So if we have to pay for the glass it wont be too bad.   Do you have a handy man at home? Are you the handy person? I wish I could saw but I can't. Bye for now. Tx
PS: Just picked up a glass door  off a free page literally around the corner from  a my home so we can crack on and get it finished

18 comments:

  1. It's so handy having someone who can turn their hand to most things. Mick isn't too bad with things and if he can't manage it, he gets one of the lads at work to do it for him, he always knows someone who can help him out. Those brackets are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them and I can take them down in the winter. He is very handy.

      Delete
  2. My hubby is like yours, which means lovely finished items, but getting there can be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea those brackets are. My hubby is pretty good and can turn his hand to most things and enjoys having a go... even when I wish he wouldn't xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I just wish he understood simple and lightweight! Trying to pick up something he's made is very difficult!

      Delete
  4. Your husband is clever I have one of those as well. I love your garden lights I bet they look really pretty x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lights are hard wired but LED so they're not overly bright create a nice atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DH is my handyman and just like yours everything has to be just so.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make suggestions but then I have to leave him to it. Tx

      Delete
  7. We don't see concrete fence posts here, they are all pressure treated wood, so my plant hangers are attached to the wood. Great idea you came up with though. I'm interested to see how your dehydrator works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have both types of post in the UK wood and concrete, the latter being more expensive but last longer. They are so much stronger and the fence panels can pop out in high winds.

      Delete
  8. I have a handy Hubby as well. He has finished our front steps and I now have a small deck that I can put my bistro table and chairs on. It will be nice to be able to have coffee in a different place.

    I am very interested in your dehydrator. I have an electric one but would love a solar one as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deck sounds lovely, enjoy your coffee. The dehydrator is one of the traditional designs. I mat tweak it with a small solar fan. I hope we have some more sunshine when its finished.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We retired early too and are enjoying the new lifestyle and growing more in the garden . Your hydrating box is interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're enjoying your retirement too. I can't wait to start using the box. I have lots of toms ready for it, just need to get it finished and order the sunshine back now.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete