Google+ Followers

Tuesday, 18 July 2017

Birthday Celebrations and a trip to the seaside

The weekend
English jam tarts.  Baked them when I was ten using leftover pastry.

We had been invited to a friends 50th Birthday afternoon tea.  There was lots of Pimms, tea, cake, savoury buffet and everything was delicious.  One 'sweet'  I fell in love with was a jam tart but not your average jam tart,  it was a jam tart with a hidden secret.  The secret was marzipan there was a piece of marzipan under the jam that had obviously melted into the pastry and it was gorgeous, something I will be trying in the future. Simple yet so yummy. 


We said goodbye to my brother in-law on Sunday morning. He left at 10 and was making a stop off to visit other family before completing his journey back to Wales arriving safe and sound at 6 that evening. Our friends arrived just as we were waving him goodbye and we jumped in their car and headed for Leigh on Sea. It took just under an hour to get there and we parked at the station and took a stroll down onto the shoreline where the fishmongers and cockle sheds can be found. Leigh is very muddy when the  tide is out and it was low tide. We walked up into the town and had a look in a couple of shops. The properties near the seafront are beautiful huge 'mock Tudor' semi's and detached properties. I had a quick look at Rightmove and a house like this would cost approx £1 million


After a couple of hours we went along to coast a short distance to Southend on Sea. We had some food in the town and had a mooch around before heading home. We managed to cram in one garden centre on the way back to look at their 'Summer Houses' as my friend and daughter are both after one for their gardens. Strangely enough they have both decided they'd like a corner one and I dare say we will be help out when they arrive. 

They are rather lovely and you can upgrade the wall thickness to 48mm, have double glazed windows, shingle roof etc Do you have a summer house? What do you use it for? They are rather lovely. Bye for now Tx







11 comments:

  1. Hubby would love some marzipan in his jam tarts, marzipan is his weakness xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The marzipan was such a suprise and a really lovely one.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely weekend you've had. I do love a good birthday buffet and those jam tarts sound delicious.
    No Summer house here. I only just have enough room for a shed! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to give the marzipan tarts ago for sure. I have enough room for a summer house but I'm still not in my forever house, perhaps the maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a lover of marzipan but that little surprise in the jam tart sounds lovely for anyone who is. Glad you had a good weekend, it's nice to get outdoors and have a wander. I don't have a summerhouse, I've still got a two storey playhouse in my garden from when the kids were young, it's definitely going very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its been nice to get out and about especially now I spend more time at home. Lucky children having a 2 storey playhouse. Mind you I've seen some beautiful playhouses for children.

      Delete
  5. I love marzipan so I'd definitely enjoy the jam tarts as well.

    We have a summer house that started out very nice with a sofa, a radio and some shelving in there. The theory was it would be inside/outside retreat in summer. Over the months more and more stuff got shoved in there as tends to happen and now it's a very pretty storage shed that's got everything from a treadmill to the Christmas decs in it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately there is always that danger of it becoming a glory hole! If I had an even bigger garden I would have one but not until I know it will be mine and only mine!

      Delete
  6. Ooh, I want one (or more) of those jam tarts now! I love marzipan, or almond paste as my mother called it and which is what I call it (I make my own for our Christmas cake, it's nicer than the commercially produced marzipan, but for these jam tarts, commercial would be fine I'm sure).
    My husband has a cousin living in Leigh on Sea. We've never been there, but loved your description (and loved that Tudorbethan house - I love the descriptions of such places in Harry Mount's book A Lust for Window Sills, a great book on architecture.)
    Not been to Southend on Sea either although my husband's family all hale from Essex from the turn of the 19th/20th century. One of his uncles had an antiques shop on the London Road, and another uncle and aunt lived in Witham.
    We have a very small summerhouse which we love. Husband built it for me from scratch, i.e. not one delivered flat-pack from a garden centre. This was because the space available was quite small, between the boundary wall of our garden and our walnut tree. It is double-skinned and insulated and has electricity, so we can use it all year round. I would, of course, love one that is much larger but this one at 8ft by 6ft fits two comfy chairs and table and a tea trolley for the TV. Watching Royal Ascot out there during the hot weather was lovely. Even in a very small garden, a little retreat like this is very nice to have, you feel to be out-of-doors and away from the house, and it's very relaxing.
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your summer house sounds charming and very original. I would recommend the jam tarts for sure, heavenly! Love the architecture that different towns have.

      Delete
  7. The blog are the best that is extremely useful to keep.
    I can share the ideas of the future as this is really what I was looking for,
    I am very comfortable and pleased to come here. Thank you very much.
    ผลบอล

    ReplyDelete