Google+ Followers

Wednesday, 19 July 2017

Being Extra Frugal

I need to put some money back into my savings account, as we've had a list of things we needed to buy for our tenant and the account has taken a real battering. So my first job yesterday morning was to familiarise myself with my cupboards, fridge and freezer.  While the garden is producing well, a lot of meals can be subsidised with produce from the garden.  Almost everyday I'm  getting beetroot, tomatoes, beans, potatoes and salad produce. It won't be long before I can harvest carrots, kale and sweetcorn. 



In the fridge I found some out of date Emmental cheese that was going a little dry, as I won't be baking until the end of the week so I put the slices of cheese in the Nutri bullet and pressed the button.  Less than 20 seconds later there was a lovely fine crumb, that I've put into a tub in the freezer. 
In the bottom of the fridge were 2 cucumbers, 2 courgettes, mushrooms and some cooked beetroot.  I peeled the cucumber, deseeded and chopped it up. The beetroot was chopped and the two ingredients mixed together with a little mayo, balsamic vinegar and seasoned. This will be served with the chicken & mushroom, spaghetti, courgetti dish I've made.  

Today we had curry and rice, the curry is out of the freezer. I really need to utilise what I have in the freezer as much as possible. There is plenty of meat in there to serve with produce from the garden.  


Spending needs to be an absolute minimum for the foreseeable so I decided to take advantage of the Iceland promotion that I received in the post yesterday. The deal is spend £10 in-store 3 times between 17th July & 20th August making sure to present your bonus card,  £5 will be loaded onto your card automatically on the 26th August. You must spend the £5  between the 26th August and 10th September.  I spent £11.11 yesterday but really need to stick to the £10 as much as possible, I'm keeping the receipts and promotional paperwork together just in case. We have a hired a beach hut with friends for a week starting Friday so there are a few bits on there that we can take with us. Iceland have also started doing Warburtons 50-50 bread for 59p which is a good price and the grandchildren will eat this.  We had the tail end of a storm early hours of the morning, lots of lightening then one huge clap of thunder and a bit of rain but not as much as I expected.  Poor Cornwall they always seem to get the flash floods. At least no one was hurt and work is already underway to make sure the forthcoming  holiday season goes ahead as planned. Bye for now Tx

13 comments:

  1. We just had a month of no spend as we had no money (new fridge) not only did the meat in the freezer have to do I even had to use the emergency tin of tuna from the stores! I had 52p in cash left and £1.29 in the account - thank god when the state pensions arrived! Another tight month to rebuild our balance! Beach hut sounds fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant Trish, its surprising what you can do when you need to. I don't go by sell by dates but I could do with doing some baking to use up odds and sods.

      Delete
  2. Things are so tight here too!. Every penny being chucked at mortgage. May not make end of August mortgage free may be September.
    Things just cropped up cousins and their children visiting, long distance visit to mum, extra courtyard garden fees grrrrrrrrr. Nieces birthday yes I know happens every year failed in planning. Fees to stay on professional register at work grudged big time!.
    Lunch tomorrow mix of freezer veg, some toms, olives, pickles, lettuce cucumber frozen peppers n onions mixed with mayo n forgotten about deli frozen ham.
    Breakfast porridge made in work micro.
    Supper at work above leftover salad on freezer bread.
    No canteen for me!.admit getting fed up!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does get a little monotonous but you have to remind yourself of the goal. I always have a tiny splurge on pension pay day but then back to saving. You are so very close to achieving your first goal of No mortgage. And then it's your retirement fund. You can go this!

      Delete
  3. I wonder if everyone is feeling a bit of a pinch this month. Here it is more because we have needed to run the air conditioner more often. Got to save the cash to pay the bill next month.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My water bill is higher because it's been so dry. We have rain due so I'll be collecting every bit of it to bring the next bill down.

      Delete
  4. It's always good to be careful with spending. Whether because we need to or if it's to keep money aside for the unexpected (something always crops up).
    I've been menu planning this week. It's funny how certain habits become second nature after a while.
    Thankfully we've also had some produce from the garden, even though the strawberries were a no-show this time. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think menu planning is the key to success. There is no waste and so much more straightforward. Give your strawberries a good trim in the autumn and lots of manure.

      Delete
  5. For the first time in a very very long time I've noted all my expenditure to date this month and I have to say it's a pretty eye watering amount. It's frightening how a bit here and a bit there mounts to up a LOT.

    There are some things I can't buy at Lidl so Iceland is my top up shop these days. I've also got one of those promotions and I don't think spending £10 during the dates will be hard for me so I should get my bonus :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use Iceland a great deal but I know if I plan I can use it to fill the gaps.

      Delete
  6. The blog are the best that is extremely useful to keep.
    I can share the ideas of the future as this is really what I was looking for,
    I am very comfortable and pleased to come here. Thank you very much.
    ผลบอล

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quantum Binary Signals

    Professional trading signals delivered to your mobile phone daily.

    Follow our trades today and profit up to 270% per day.

    ReplyDelete