Google+ Followers

Wednesday, 7 June 2017

Wet & Windy

I can honestly say I've never seen rain like we experienced throughout Monday evening and most of the day yesterday. It was like having a jet of water  continually hitting the front then back of the house as the wind changed directions. Once the rain stopped at about 5 o'clock last evening I quickly went out to straighten the runner bean wigwam that was listing at 45 degrees. Luckily enough although I lost some of the leaves on the runner beans  the flowers seem to be intact. The dwarf beans have held up too and some are in flower just like the peas.  I only have one potato plant in flower at the moment.
Runner beans
Peas starting to flower
 Since installing the two large water butts behind the shed 3 years ago I have never seen them full. Last night I found myself emptying some of the water from them into buckets, bins and watering cans so that when we have more rain which is forecast they wont overflow. The paddling pool that has been in the garden from bank holiday weekend when the family visited was emptied straight onto the garden after. It has at least 2 inches of water in the bottom. I did have to weigh it down with a box of wood to stop it flying into the neighbours garden yesterday morning.
 
Rainwater in the paddling pool
The greenhouse is coming along slowly.  I have planted a different variety of tomato this year as well as my normal one and they seem to be stumpy and bushy but they are bearing fruit and they have  lots of flowers.  I still have a number of tomato seedlings I'm going to repot and utilise. We used out last jar of homegrown beetroot at the weekend and I'm looking forward to doing some more this year. The beetroot in the garden has doubled in size so I'm hoping we are in for a bumper crop. The second batch of beetroot seedlings are almost ready to replant outside.
Flowers and fruit on the toms
Courgette outside in the sunshine, we have had
3 courgettes so far
 
Strawberries getting fat

 

The strawberries are loving this warm wet weather but the net that was over them to stop the pesky birds having first dibs on them was shredded in the wind yesterday and  I'm currently sewing another two together so its big enough. Although I have a salad bowl containing various mixed leaves I also have individual ones and I picked one of the lovely  frilly varieties   yesterday.
 
Our neighbours have a number of fruit trees that are on the boundary of our property.  They don't eat any of the fruit and we have permission to help ourselves normally to pears in the autumn. This year is the first year I have seen so many cherries on their trees and plums or at least I think they're plums. The branches are laden so we are in for a good harvest as long as the wind dies down a bit!
So much fruit on one branch
How has your garden faired in all this wind and rain?  Have you suffered much damage. I must keep on top of the successional sowing and find additional space for a number of cucumber plants. Meals are slowly having homegrown produce added. The last courgette I bought (singular) cost 47p and we have had 3 courgettes so far which is a great  saving already!
 
I have managed to sort some photos of the house renovation and I'll probably post that tomorrow if I can get it finished.  Bye for now.Tx

15 comments:

  1. The weather has been just awful. The garden seems to have shot up since we had all the rain. Luckily our sunflower has escaped unscathed.
    It's kind of your neighbours to offer you the fruit. Going by the photograph you will be in for a treat. So much fruit. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand why they have fruit trees then let it sit on the tree. They planted tomatoes last year but didn't eat them 😱. The rain and sunshine is definitely what the garden doctor ordered.

      Delete
  2. Same here weather wise Tania, today has been a bit calmer, a nice wind for drying the washing, our flowers took a good battering yesterday, your produce is coming along well, our toms and courgettes are very slow and the peppers plants are tiny they don't seem to be doing much at all.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reported my peppers two weeks ago and I'm feeding them once a week. They are finally putting on some growth.

      Delete
  3. Terrible weather here the past couple of days as well Tania. Non-stop rain and it's been blowing a gale. Lots of leaves off the trees but thankfully my flowers seem to have survived. I was worried about my sweet peas. Glad to hear your garden and plants remained undamaged. Today is still very windy but dry and the sun has been out. All my wet washing that's been hanging around is now dried and ironed. Looking forward to seeing your house renovation photos - I love a good 'before and after' xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne. We have sunshine today but still windy. The forecast looks dismal for the next week! I hope the wind drops.

      Delete
  4. There are several events on locally this weekend but I think they may be washed out. I guess summer will come back some time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awful when the weather lets us down. Hubby is due to help son-in-law lay the supports for decking frame Friday afternoon.

      Delete
  5. It's summer, what do you expect from our weather, it would be nice to see the sun again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been really warm today despite the blustery wind. It's starting to feel a little muggy so it would surprise me if we have storms on the way. Summer ehh!

      Delete
  6. We too had terrible rain so that we are not able to talk to each other because we are not able to hear the voice.
    You have lot of plants in your garden. I have lost many plants of mine during the flood which happened here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, losing plants is terrible. I'm bad enough when I find the birds have been eating my young beetroots! Do you have a blog? I'll take a look. Tx

      Delete
  7. Hi Tania, We are in Wales this week & I dread to think what our garden will be like when we get back to Brum. The rain has been horrendous & the river acrross the road from where we are staying has burst its banks twice. We've been housebound for 2 days. Hope it improves soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far we haven't had the rain they forecast for us. We had a small shower overnight and it's a little warmer so the plants are recovering from the deluge. I dare say the rain has caused a lot of damage around the country. Enjoy the rest of your break. Tx

      Delete
  8. Did you know you can create short urls with AdFly and make cash for every visitor to your short urls.

    ReplyDelete