Google+ Followers

Friday, 16 June 2017

Tastes of Summer

Thank you for all your comments regarding the Pension Post and doing Frugal things.
Well the frugality continues. Hubby had to work yesterday which is unusual so I went on the hunt early morning for the creamy white elderflower heads to make elderflower cordial and champagne.  While I was busy collecting them down a country lane away from traffic I heard a voice say 'What's she doing?' quickly followed by a couple of cold noses on my shins, I looked down to see two lovely bundles of fluff which were apparently shih-zue, yorkie cross dogs. A young man and his girlfriend were walking their dogs along the path, I turned just as the young lady said ' I think she is collecting elderflowers'.  All I can say is never judge a book by its cover, the male who was  a heavily  tattooed,  baseball capped loud young man was very intrigued.  He was asking me lots of questions about how I would make it.  How is it drunk? Was it alcoholic? He proved to be a great help reaching the elderflowers high up in the trees even risking being stung by stinging nettles. We parted company after getting a carrier bag full of flower heads.
What a glorious setting. The sea is less than a mile away
Once I got home I cracked on with making the cordial, but I didn't have enough heads to make champagne. Hubby loves getting involved in making things and was a little miffed that I made a batch without him. He did spend the evening making two small pots of jam ! (gooseberry & cherry) He got up very early this morning to collect  elderflowers for champagne and more cordial. The first batch of elderflower cordial has been bottled while the second lot is still soaking.  The champagne is in a large bucket covered with muslin, it will be checked regularly over the next two days to see if it starts to ferment naturally, if it doesn't start to bubble a small pinch of yeast will be added to trigger the process. I'll update you on that.
The weather has been super warm and the evenings are spent watering, feeding and trimming various plants around the garden.  The strawberries are coming thick and fast now, we are enjoying them with yoghurt and cream. The raspberries are fewer but just as delicious. The pea pods are starting to form on the plants and we should have more dwarf beans ready by the weekend and we continue to have lettuce with everything! 

Got to dash, off to watch two of the grandchildren take part in  the sports day. Back soon. Tx

10 comments:

  1. Hi Tania, I confess I have never made it, but would love to try if I see any, I think it's great how your husband enjoys making things, mine helps in other ways, after all frugal living is about team work, have a nice weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very easy to make and we love a little drop of the visual in ice cold sparkling water. Very refreshing. Have a lovely weekend. Tx

      Delete
  2. You are much braver than me making elderflower champagne. I'm too afraid of exploding bottles.
    I hope sports day goes well and is lots of fun. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, the champagne can be very gassy. I put some in glass swing top bottles and the rest in plastic. As long as you release the gas the first month its fine after that. Tx

      Delete
  3. Elderflowers don't grow here on the prairies of Canada so this is something I have never tried. I so often think about making dandelion wine or syrup as we have so many of them. However being the type of person who wonders if they have been sprayed never get around to doing it.

    Hope the sports day is fun.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always collect the flowers away from traffic. Ive never tried dandelion drinks of any kind but I would think as long as you collect them in the wild and wash them they would be fine. Hope you're break was good. Tx

      Delete
  4. June - the perfect month for all that soft fruit - delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we left the delightful sports day we walked across a green and I noticed cherries on the ground, we looked up and the tree was laden. Hubby and I picked two hands full each....bonus!!

      Delete
  5. All this elderflower cordial making is making me a tad jealous. I've still not come across any and considering it's supposed to grow anywhere and we live only a few feet from a golf course with part of it given over to 'country' I'm feeling really miffed there's none to be had! I'm really hoping the farm has something to pick this weekend, maybe we'll find some over that way. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope sports day was fun. This post was a kind of 'summer capsule'...lovely! Jx

    ReplyDelete