Google+ Followers

Tuesday, 20 June 2017

Phew! its been a scorcher

A few weeks ago Hubby bought himself a 2.5 person Kayak, the half gives space for a young child or 2 children 1 adult. He has wanted one for a long time and initially went down the second hand route looking on eBay, Shpock  and Gumtree every single day but nothing this side of the country was coming up. So hubby treated himself to a new one but within twenty four hours of delivery we had some of the heaviest rainfall I had seen in a long time. At one point I though he'd had a premonition and we needed our own personal ark!
Well the kayak completed its maiden voyage on Saturday and the family had a blast. We couldn't have asked for better weather or sea conditions. The tides at Holland on Sea were perfect and since the 36million pound upgrade so were the beaches. Gone are the old wooden groynes that break up the beach, instead they have built half circle defences out of rocks.  The upper beach area has been raised so there is always beach available to occupy even at high tide. The local council uses a tractor to comb  the sand keeping it lovely and clean. I'm only sorry I didn't take more photos but I couldn't see the screen as it was so sunny.
 
No groynes just wide stretches of beach,
 semi circle rock defences
A great time was had by all and we returned Sunday which was even warmer to do it all over again.  Our eldest daughter bought us Fathers day breakfast at the beach café, I took another pack-up and flask to keep the cost of the day out down. The evenings were spent watering the garden and greenhouse, as well as picking anything that was ready.  I collected two ice-cream size tubs of strawberries and two lots of dwarf green beans.  I sorted the best strawberries and we took them to the beach with us, everyone was asking where I'd bought them because of the taste.  The supermarket ones are so forced they taste of nothing. The rest of the strawberries were split into two piles, one lot were used for breakfast in yoghurt and the rest made into jam as the heat was making them turn quickly.  I made enough for 3.5 jars, the 2 smaller jars will go into 'C' hampers. If I manage to get my hands on some cheap market strawberries I'll make some more for the hampers.
 
Hubby collected enough raspberries to put at the bottom of the trifles I make each week.  The sugar free jelly will set with raspberries but not strawberries. I reuse yoghurt pots as its just the right portion size once the low fat custard is added to the top and a swirl of cream.
Raspberry trifles

Elderflower champagne
Yesterday I caught up with jobs around the house. Last night we strained the elderflower champagne and bottled it.  The lids will be released every evening for a week to free some of the initial gas that builds. Back soon, trying to do jobs indoors while its so hot outside. Today I really need to tackle my craft box its in a real state. Friends and family  keep giving me cards which I'm grateful for but I've been opening the lid and throwing them in!
Bye for now. Tx
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

14 comments:

  1. Sound like a lovely day on Sunday. I love seeing all your thrifty goings on with regards to foods, I have loads of little pots and individual jelly moulds, I really should use them. Card making sounds a good idea,would keep you cool working indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorting craft box has been beneficial it's made me use up some of the odds and sods on there.

      Delete
  2. Ooh I love the fact you're doing elderflower champers! I have done cordial and hoping to do champagne asap. There is nothing like the taste of home grown strawberries is there, 2 tubs full is a great hall. Love to hear how you do your trifles? Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We made champagne last year but I thought there was too much vinegar in it. I put two level tablespoons of white wine vinegar in this batch. I'll do a trifle post soon.

      Delete
  3. I thought I might copy your trifle idea but then remembered I don't have room in the fridge to keep them!
    The one regret with this place is no room for a tall fridge in the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two fridges which is handy this time of year to keep everything cool. The yoghurt pots don't take up a lot of room as they are quite small.

      Delete
  4. You have been busy and productive. We have often thought about a Kayak ourselves then we could go from our cottage to the village when the tide is in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine going shopping on a kayak. He he!

      Delete
  5. Gosh, you have been busy. What a wonderful way to spend Father's day. It sounds like you had a great time.
    I had to chuckle about you taking photographs in the sunshine. A lot of mine get taken then deleted as I can't see the screen properly, although some work out well and I get a pleasant surprise. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have many photos of my feet which aren't very interesting!

      Delete
  6. The kayak sounds great fun. I bet you all had a blast. It's lovely when all the family can do something together. We are going strawberry picking this weekend so I think there will be some jam making happening here. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept a lot of the smaller strawberries for the jam and they have stayed whole in the jam which is lovely.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend, there's no better place to be on such gorgeous days than the beach. I remember having a go in those two man kayaks when I went on an outdoor pursuit course with work. The other girl that was in it with me decided to stand up for some reason and we both ended up in the water. Hey ho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby ended up in the water when a very excited nephew decided to jump off his kayak onto hubbies! The breeze on the beach makes the heat bearable!

      Delete