Google+ Followers

Tuesday, 13 June 2017

Keeping Busy doing Frugal Things

People who opt to live frugally all do it for different reasons.  Some people do it out of necessity, others do it because they are saving towards something or you simply may hate waste etc.  I have always looked after my money but there was a time when I first started working full time in the early 90's when things started to slip.  I would go to the supermarket and fill my trolley without any planning, duplicates were purchased, items we were desperate for forgotten and ultimately food wasted. When my shift patterns changed dramatically in 2003 which meant quick turn a-rounds whereby you finished one shift at 22:30 and had to be at work at 06:00 the next day. I had to start planning ahead a lot more and by the time I was starting to think about retirement I really stepped up a gear  by living on my proposed pension for 2 years prior to retiring in October 2016.
 
Skills learnt during that time have stayed with me I'm always thinking ahead so when I saw cheap apricots in Aldi on Sunday I bought two punnets @ 49p each and yesterday I made jam.  I've been collecting small jars (mustard /horseradish and salsa jars) so that I can give them as presents in Christmas hampers. I also stock piled 5Kg  bags of sugar last year when I had money off coupons.

Offers on at Lidl this week

 
 
 
609grms of Apricots made 4 180g mustard size jars
and one 250g Salsa size  jar
 
I always print my labels to make the product look a little more professional its just my little OCD thing! I will be making more jams and chutneys throughout the summer to add to the proposed hampers.
 
 
Whenever I see something reduced I think how can it be used before I purchase it.  Its only a bargain when you use it.  I bought two different sorts of Mackerel that were reduced Piri Piri and Black Pepper and put them in the freezer the minute I got home.  Today I will turn one of them into pate. The 93p Piri Piri Jalapeno mackerel will be flaked into a bowl, add finely chopped onions/spring onions together with low fat crème cheese and season. Mix together by hand for a rough pate or blend in food processor for a smooth pate. I have simplified this weight watchers recipe and its delicious. Its great to eat with the abundance of salad leaves we have ready at the moment.  I also picked a small bowl of dwarf green beans they will be steamed for a minute and served hot on the salad. More and more meals are being supplemented with produce from the garden. 
 
Being Frugal doesn't mean I don't treat myself to things, this weeks treat was a bunch of Sweet Williams @£1.50,  a little reminder of my late fathers favourite flower with whom he shared the name WILLIAM. He died in 2010 aged 86. Love you and miss you Dad.
Lots of buds still closed
Its going to be a warm day, so I've been out and watered everything early while it was in the shade.  I'll be picking more strawberries and raspberries for tea. I need to crack on with my knitting which is another present and works out a fraction of the cost of buying the item (if I ever get the pattern right). I also need to cut out the free pattern I got with a magazine I bought last year. Bye for now. Tx

18 comments:

  1. Hi Tania, we were never always frugal but learnt some good lessons along the way. I love Sweet Williams, we all deserve a little treat, it is nice they remind you of your father xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene, my dad grew sweet williams for cut flowers but I would make him wash them to get all the earwigs out. Yuk!!

      Delete
  2. I also stock up when I see a great deal that I know I can use. Finally after many years of marriage I have gotten my DH to start to look at prices and realize how much we can save by either making it ourselves or just by waiting for a sale.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby knows now, when I say I'm only buying what's on my list..... I am only buying what's on my list!

      Delete
  3. We don't live exactly frugally as I buy books, perfume, flowers, etc, none of which could be considered absolute necessities but they also enhance life. However, husband and I both hate waste. We were brought up by parents who had lived during WW2 and we both knew what it was like to experience rationing (husband more than me as he was already working when rationing was still in force in the early 1950s) and therefore we're used to saving wrapping paper to re-use, saving Christmas cards to make gift cards, re-using supermarket bags, and the lovely boxes that Roger and Galley soap comes in, well, I use some of those for small pieces of costume jewellery or for partitioning the drawers of my bedside table for medications, and so forth. I hate food waste, too, but I do know what's in our cupboards (I have a good memory) and haven't ever had a tendency to duplicate things; once something is opened I jot it down on a magnetic notepad attached to the fridge and one a week transfer this to a proper typed shopping list, and it's laid out in the order of where the items are laid out in the store.
    I have two lists - one for one supermarket and one for another (the expensive one and the not expensive one ... food from one, cleaning products from another.)
    The best way of saving, though, is to do the big jobs in the house yourself, if you possibly can. Fortunately husband has always been able to do maintenance and decoration, he must've saved us countless thousands of pounds in our 53 years of marriage. And tackle a mending job before it becomes a major operation and costs even more money. Not everyone can do this, I appreciate that, but I think unless someone is severely handicapped, most could wield a paintbrush. And as Jackie says, wait for a Sale is you can.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree tackling things around the house is real money saver. With Google and YouTube there isn't a great deal you can't find out about. I've even reset my boiler when it went wrong saving
      me a call out from a plumber! I always look in the discontinued section and sale bins in shops for things I can put aside as presents.

      Delete
  4. I am a waste hater and have always been a saver rather than a spender. Presently we are trying to live as if we are on a pension to see how it might change our quality of life whilst at the same time having major jobs done while we still have a reasonable income coming in. Apricot jam my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apricot jam is my favourite too. As I said people choose frugality for different reasons.

      Delete
  5. I've been waiting for strawberries to be ready at our local pick your own farm but I may just buy some apricots instead and make some jam. I had lemon and black pepper mackerel this week and it was delicious and I also bought sweet Williams. What a lovely reminder of your Dad. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mackerel was delicious with just a little sweetness of the peri peri and hit from the jalapeño. Yum! I love making jam, I don't have all the jam making paraphernalia but manage anyway!

      Delete
  6. Your jam will be 'little pots of summer' when we get to the darker months again. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sounds lovely. Probably what we all need in the depths of winter.

      Delete
  7. Looking back, we certainly wasted money when we were first married. Things have certainly changed over the years though, I'm glad to say. I love Sweet Williams, they have such a gorgeous scent and certainly worth splashing out that £1.50 on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, I wish my garden was bigger as I'd have a cut flower section.

      Delete
  8. I'm waiting on some raspberries to make our jam this year. It's a great idea to put into hampers. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of friends and family who prefer practical things as presents which normally means food or drink of some description.And as Jan said it's a little taste of summer during those dark months.

      Delete
    2. Talking of practical presents, a couple of Christmases ago we gave our two sons (note: our sons, not their female partners!) steam cleaners for Christmas so they could stem clean the kitchen floor, etc! And they were delighted with them! OK, we gave them other things, too, such as hampers of food and bottles of wine, but the steam cleaners went down a storm!
      Margaret P

      Delete
    3. What a great present and very useful for do many areas in the home. We bought an industrial style cleaner when we were renovating this house. Every family member has borrowed it at some point because it's such a practical piece of equipment.

      Delete