Google+ Followers

Thursday, 29 June 2017

Best Laid Plans

When I got up bright and early yesterday morning I had it in my head that I would get the sewing machine out from under the stairs ready to  begin some sewing.  I kept my promise to cut the free pattern out last week and retrieved the material that I bought last year  in Portugal from the under bed storage. I did a little bit of ironing that's been hanging around and used the opportunity to iron out all the creases in the material making it easier to lay the pattern out.  
 
Having made myself a cup of tea I did what I normally do every day, step outside and check over the garden and greenhouse. We'd had some rain but not as much as I expected.  I knew the  green beans needed picking and so did the some of the courgettes. Once they were picked I went over to the strawberry trough and picked the last of the strawberries even though they were tiny. There was another 10 raspberries ready and a I pulled up one of the many mature lettuces. Having brought all the produce into the kitchen I had to decide cooking or sewing.  When you have produce in the garden ready you have to deal with it so I found myself thinking out a meal plan to use it all making sure there is little or no waste. 
Corned beef and potatoes ready for mixing
 
 
First thing on the agenda was to make something to go with salad, so I set about making two dishes of corned beef hash. I only had enough potatoes for one but I did have a butter nut squash  that I could add. 
Wonky Veg

 
 When my oven is used it has to be full so I went on to make some quiche using up the bread that was getting stale. I only get 6 slices out of the freezer at a time now as bread goes mouldy  very quickly in this warm weather.  I rolled each slice  thin like pastry and lined a greased  tin as you would pastry.  All the leftovers were crumbed in the blender and frozen. The filling used some of the odd shaped courgettes that I'd  had to pick as there are so many coming, they were chopped and  fried off in a little oil with onions garlic and spices.  The courgettes are growing more uniform now but I don't really care if they're wonky they taste the same, everything gets used up. 
The over ripe  black banana was added to a half packet of leftover  sponge mix.  Raspberries were placed at the bottom of the individual cases and sponge mix poured over the top. There wasn't much but its better than wasting it.
 
 
 
The strawberries were washed and put in the nutri bullet to turn into a liquid as I thought I'd make a nice strawberry syrup that could be poured over ice cream or fruit. Sugar and drop of water was added before boiling it on the hob for 12 minutes.  It was poured in a sterilised jar and once cooled it will be kept in the fridge for the next few weeks (or days!). 
 
 

 
DELISH
Some of the lettuce was made into a coleslaw and the rest left to be served with cucumber and tomatoes. My cucumbers are getting bigger, garden update at the end of the week. The dwarf beans were topped, tailed, chopped and blanched ready to be frozen as I need to use salad first.  If I manage to get to my peas before the meeces than I will serve them sprinkled raw on the top of the salad. I need to find the mince that I know is at the bottom of the freezer so I can make  Bolognese, that way the spaghetti can be have courgetti added to it  utilising the courgettes.  
 

The egg shells were whizzed with a little boiling water in the blender and will be used on the tomatoes in the greenhouse, providing a great natural feed full of potassium, calcium and nitrogen. Peelings  went in the composter, butternut squash seeds  in the conservatory to dry ready for next year, everything used up.
 
 
 
 
The best bit is that I have  meals ready for the next few days so I will be able to get on with some sewing hopefully, although I'm out with friends tomorrow.
 
The rest of the butternut squash was roasted and  it will be served with quiche, salad and green beans. As you can see the oven was filled to capacity in order to keep bills down. Do you have days were you start one thing and it goes completely off  in another direction? I really need to get on with my knitting as its too late to start sewing, that's the down side of not having a dedicated craft room. One day perhaps I will. 



All cooked and cooling down
Bye for now. Tx

12 comments:

  1. Lovely produce and lovely fresh homemade food,perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene, its great that I'm getting more and more from the garden.

      Delete
  2. I am just totally staggered by your organisation and dedication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Its all become second nature to me now, I just auto MN automatically look for ways to use things up. I can't abide waste of any kind.

      Delete
  3. I really like the idea of using the bread as a pastry substitute. I will give it a try tomorrow and make a cheese and onion quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's something I learnt from a diet book. Pastry is high in fat and this allows me to have quiche without the pastry so I allow my self extra cheese on occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of bread pastry!. Will try making some little fish pies, salmon given to me by a gamekeeper, spring onion, herbs little potatoe and a little cheese.
    Tanya lovely to have you back in blog land!.
    2 more pay days then house is mine!
    Then 2.5 years to save for retirement!.
    Hope you are enjoying being retired!. You worked so hard for it!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased for you Kirrie, you too have worked hard planning your future, budgeting to pay off your mortgage and like me working towards retirement. Tx

      Delete
  6. Wish you had kept your blog was an inspiration!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I should mention more often on here how I'm living on my pension which was the whole idea behind the blog originally. I learnt so much during those 2.5 years and saved so much money to. My behaviour by as changed completely, I still make every penny work hard for me but I can't save on the scale I used to because I don't have a salary anymore. I'm sure you'll be saving hard for your retirement with your mortgage paid it's going to be inspiring watching your pension fund grow.

      Delete
  7. I've never heard of using bread instead of pastry for a quiche before. Can you describe the texture for me please because I'd be really keen on having a go at it - does it crisp up or is it quite soft.

    I would love a craft room mainly because the whole house feels upside down when I'm sewing. There are 3 rooms I could use but only when the children have flown the nest!

    Everything you've made looks lovely. I'm not half as organised as you seem to be although if the oven is on I try to cook something else rather than letting it cool down and having to fire it up again as it were. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bread can be slightly soft. When I want a crisper texture I toast it for a couple of minutes and roll it. It still rolls out well. It's saves me time and cuts down on fat. I often time my batch cooking so one meal can be served from the oven and the rest nuked in the microwave. Tx

      Delete