Google+ Followers

Wednesday, 24 May 2017

Popeye food

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments.  Its really lovely hearing from you after my break.

Many of you will remember Popeye the Sailor man, Olive Oyl and of course the baddy Bluto. He got incredible strength from eating the green stuff 'strong to the finish' 'cos I eats my spinach'. In fact spinach was accredited with far more iron than it actually had/has back in the 1930's when Popeye first appeared. It is still nevertheless a great leafy green vegetable packed with vitamins and iron.

My spinach has been coming thick and fast, I've been picking it regularly to keep it cropping.   I've been using it in a coleslaw, as salad leaves and as a parsley style dressing on top of dishes.  I actually prefer it raw to cooked, I definitely couldn't do the soggy wet tinned stuff. Yuk.

The colours are amazing

My sprializer, julienne slicer, and salad spinner
Look at those colours, you just know it brimming with goodness. I use my spiralizer  (Christmas present from my friend) to prep carrots, its so much quicker than grating. After putting the carrots through the thicker side of the spiralizer I then chop them which is just right for the coleslaw. Its a brilliant little gadget and I saw them reduced in Asda the other day for £5.95 instead of £9.99.  It makes lovely courgetti and carrot spaghetti at a fraction of the price of ready prepared supermarket bags. Its steamed in the microwave steamer for 1 minute, drained then I pour over a meaty Bolognese sauce and top with low fat cheese. Its great for anyone trying to lose a few pound and it certainly helped me shed the pounds.


My salad spinner and julienne slicer are ancient but I love them. I'm not a gadget person and I think long and hard before I buy one.  It really has to earn its place in my drawer. What gadgets have you found invaluable over the years? Have you got a gadget you can no longer purchase? I look forward to hearing from you. Bye for now. Tx

10 comments:

  1. I got a spiralizer for Christmas from one of our sons and have been a bit scared to use it. Probably because I don't know how to use it or what to use it with. Thanks for the ideas.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My spiralizer is quite compact so I don't mind. Experiment with it Jackie. Tx

      Delete
  2. I'm not really a huge fan of kitchen gadgets even though I do get to try out quite a few as my friend is a buyer for a very popular kitchenware store. I have thought about buying a spiralizer though. It seems an easy way of getting a good veggie fix.
    We're also enjoying the benefits of our spinach growing. Long may it continue. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know people who've got electric ones, my spiralizer is small and breaks down to go into the dishwasher. I'm watering the spinach in the morning and evening as I fear the heat will make it bolt. I'll plant more September time to take us through autumn and I may try a small tub in the coolest place in the garden. I agree long may it continue.

      Delete
  3. I know lots of people aren't keen on spinach but I love it. A well used kitchen gadget in our house is the toastie maker. They're really cheap to buy too, I sent both Daniel and Eleanor off to uni with one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the toastie pockets that slip in the toaster and they're really handy. I remember my mum buying some contraption in the 60's that looked like a spaceship in two halves. You made your sandwich on it and heated it on the gas stove. Tx

      Delete
  4. Spinach with fish is fabulous. Not many gadgets here.Latest kitchen acquisition is a very sharp knife. After use you have to check you still have fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa, my hubby is a knife fanatic. I always know where to find him in a kitchen store. I normally creep up on him and shout 'step away from the knives!' Hehe!

      Delete
  5. I love spinach and keep a bag of frozen in to add to curries etc & I also love the fresh stuff in salads. Been thinking of getting a spiralizer after seeing the prices of spiralized veg in the shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use my spiralizer regularly, I just wouldn't pay the price for bagged courgetti or the like.

      Delete