Google+ Followers

Tuesday, 30 May 2017

Increasing energy costs

I read with interest the article in the Daily Mail online about a recent invention 'the solar BBQ ''. It cooks food to a much higher temperature than traditional charcoal. This is the link to the article:: httpww.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4541222/BBQ-powered-mirrors-perfect-British-summer.html
 
Solar powered items can be found everywhere now and every year the quality and quantity of items increase. The BBQ is expensive at the moment on offer at £142 but it won't be long before it is replicated and the price drops. 

I had a Roberts  solar powered radio bought as part  of  my retirement present when I left work last year. It has been brilliant, it goes everywhere in the garden with me and I love it. At the end of each afternoon it's is left on the conservatory window sill to absorb the last of the days remaining rays of sunshine. I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to plug it in to charge the battery. 
 
Roberts solar powered radio displays time, date , channel and song.

This weeks Lidl leaflet shows a foldable solar power panel for phones etc. A useful bit of kit if you are camping off grid etc.  It costs £29.99 an available from Thursday. No I'm not being paid for this, its merely a coincidence that they've brought out a product that I'm interested in.
 
Solar power products becoming the norm
 
A blog I read recently whose name escapes me  was talking about a solar cooking pot which lead me to researching solar cooking.  I was gobsmacked just how many cooking products are out there however  they are all still prohibitively expensive, which is a shame.

In the meantime energy costs have gone up, the media has been full of stories regarding the big energy supplier hikes.  It is very much a lottery and the sooner some of them simplify the way they present the information the better. Most of use can't afford to have solar panels or wind turbines to enable us to be off grid. My electricity has risen from 0.1035 to 0.1367 a Kwh.  Gas has also increased from 0.230 to 0.288 per Kwh while the daily standing charge remains the same @ 0.274.  Its only the fact that I get a decent discount for paperless billing and 3% interest on my balance that I remain with OVO. I will continue to use energy as wisely as possible. I have just replaced our iron and although it is a bit of an  energy guzzler it has a very quick heat up rate, so I can start ironing quickly, it clears the creases first time due to the higher temperature and I unplug  it when I'm down to a few items  and iron those while the iron is off.  
 
Its about time they invented a commercial solar power dehydrator after all it is a process that was derived from drying food in the sun.  My interest in dehydrating food is starting pique!
 
Has your energy prices increased? Do you have any  solar powered appliances? What would you purchase if the price was right? How do you save energy? Bye for now. Tx
 
 


16 comments:

  1. We've had several solar/wind up radios over the years. The early ones didn't last long- one got too hot and blew up!
    The one I have now has been working for many years and is in my craft room I only wind it up in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant, I will look into that if my solar one gives up the ghost. I wish there was more things available at reasonable prices.

      Delete
  2. No solar anything here. I think the daily charge is a rip off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know but I've looked everywhere ad unless you are an under average user you get no discounts. I was paying more in daily rate with one company than for the energy used. I moved on very quickly.

      Delete
  3. I am awaiting my first utility bills from Ebico/Robin Hood Energy. I expect them to be much the same as Ebico/SSE. No standing charge, and no penalties for quarterly billing. Everyone pays the same per Kw hour, can't remember what that is without looking it up. You've just reminded me, I need to send in my meter readings.

    I have a wind up torch which is kept by my bed for night time visits to the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilona. I've found that the unit price increases when there is no standing charge. I will look into ebico/robinhood as I've never head of them.

      Delete
  4. We have solor powered watering system for our hanging baskets (6) which cuts the work load of watering. We have solor powered lights for the sheds too. I looked at the BBQ some time ago - they needed higher temperatures than UK average so were great in India etc. Perhaps they will improve soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you think what solar lights used to be like compared to those today they've come on leaps and bounds. I'm hoping they invest more into the cooking it's side. A solar slow cooker 😂

      Delete
  5. Now a solar powered dehydrator is something I would really be interested in.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to build a drying station so I can make sun dried tomatoes. I might invest in a solar fan to help dehydrate the food.

      Delete
  6. I had a huge disagreement with my supplier over the significant rise in energy costs (and their payment packages) earlier in the year. I could rant for England on this subject!!!! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the rises creep up and up. There are hundreds of packages per supplier and they're deliberately complicated. It's about time Everything was standardised. Tx

      Delete
  7. I can't think of anything I've got which is solar powered, except for the garden lights, oh, and a calculator which I've had for years. I make sure I change energy suppliers regularly to take advantage of any savings, it's amazing how many people have been with the same supplier for years without checking what they're paying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, loyalty doesn't pay. They really do need to simplify their pricing so it's clear. My solar lights love lasted a year and I believe they would still be ok had hubby not cut through the wire. I think water got inside.

      Delete
  8. I love the idea of a solar radio, might look into that.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There a few out there. Mine is a Roberts which isn't cheap but it goes all over the house and garden with me.

      Delete